Skip to main content

Dissecting Literature Series Intro

Hello there, friends! Today I'll tell you about what I have in mind for this blog when it comes to book-themed posts and reviews. What I've noticed from my previous blogging experience it's common practice to review books, be it ARCs or something you've picked out from your home library, giving the potential reader a general idea of what to expect from the plot and characters. Personally, I was never able to do that sort of book reviews.

When it comes to books it's always personal for me. Books trigger something in me, provoking thoughts and bringing out feelings from deep within. Every book has something that goes beyond the story. It has a piece of the author's heart and soul. The more I read the more I see how many books are written from the personal experience of the author, which they often admit themselves. Books are a reflection of the author's personal surroundings. And you can notice it in every book once you start paying attention. Whether it's a romance story, a dystopia or a memoir. Okay, it's probably obvious with that last part, but still, it's a fact not easy to discard that each author leaves a piece of himself in every book he writes. After all, they say that you should write what you know.

I started thinking about it. And I thought a lot about how books should not be taken out of the context of the time when they were written. Every time I read a book I would simultaneously read up on the author's biography, what was going on in his life at the time he was writing and how it had affected it. This helped me look at these stories from an entirely different perspective.

Another thought that came to my mind was that many books I am reading are truly timeless. Their morals and problematics can be applied to my everyday life even though these books were written fifty years ago. Is this what they mean when they say that times change but people stay the same?

Whenever I read a book and review it I want to focus on specific topics that struck me as particularly important or problematic. They may have little to do with the main plot and characters. Sometimes it's just a short dialog in a subplot or even a very well-said quote.

A book is so much more than what can be said in its synopsis.

That's how I came up with "dissecting" literature. What I'm going to do here is basically pick out a thought or a quote that lead me to thinking about something beyond the story and write about that. Apply the wisdom of the books to everyday life's struggles.

I'm really fond of this idea because it means that I can come back to one book as many times as I like, discovering more and more layers of the story. That's what I think reading a really good book should be about. What do you think?



Comments

  1. I think reviews that bring your own experiences and your own interpretations into them are much more interesting to read. When bloggers take the time to break a book down they often pick up on themes or ideas I've overlooked! It sounds like you'll be writing some thought-provoking reviews! :)

    - Nicole @ whatadifferenceawordmakes (wordpress)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! =) Yes, it really makes the reading more rewarding and fun, especially when you discuss all that you've discovered with other readers.

      Delete
  2. I'm excited to read your reviews! One of my resolutions or goals this year is to read more books so I'll definitely be coming back to your blog to get good recommendations:) I can already tell that you have great insight!

    Nikki O. | www.herdaringthoughts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I'm excited to write them! =) I hope you'll find something interesting to read this year.

      Delete
  3. I think book reviews are amazing! They are usually more honest than on Amazon and give an interesting perspective and interpretation. They are a great idea! Really excited to read some. xx Corinne from Corinne & kirsty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! You're absolutely right. Interesting interpretation is probably the best thing a reader can do to a book))

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quotes | The Book of Lies - Twins Trilogy by Agota Kristof

I was going through some old blog entries from the times when I was blogging in my native language, and came across a collection of quotes from one of my favorite books The Notebook by Agota Kristof. It's actually a trilogy but for some reason the Russian translation which I was reading goes by the name of the first book from The Book of Lies - Twins Trilogy.
I read this book in the summer of 2012. The Twins Trilogy was hands down one of the weirdest books I've ever read. The plot kept on twisting and turning and by the end I wasn't sure what to believe. It's probably high time to re-read this book and see if I now have a different perception of it.
It is a story of two twin boys during the Second World War. Or at least that's what's on the surface. I dare you to read this book and discover its mysteries for yourself!
Here are some of the quotes from the book that I would like to share with you today. I couldn't find these particular quotes in English so a…

Reasons Why I Get Angry | Let's Get Personal

Sometimes I get really angry and frustrated with myself. My head is overfilled with ideas but I keep on tripping over my own feet and can't move forward. I get jealous looking at people who bring my ideas to life and succeed whereas I can't even get started.
I'm not angry because they came up with the same ideas. No. I'm not that sort of naive people who think that they can claim ownership of ideas or are afraid to tell someone the idea for their novel because they don't want anyone to "steal" it. Many people observe the same world that you do, the same laws of logic apply to everyone, so it's not surprising that the same idea may pop up in the minds of different people. What really counts is how you act on it.
The problem is that I more than often lack the proper resources to make my ideas a reality. And it makes me so angry.
As a part of my plan to get over these circumstances, I've decided to start this blog. This is going to be my outlet. A b…