Skip to main content

Knowing Your Own History

I don't hide the fact that my knowledge of history is mostly limited to highschool classes. And that can be boiled down to a handful of dates and basic understanding of the events. If I had to do a general knowledge trivia quiz I don't think I would do so well. For the longest time I was convinced that my limited knowledge was due to my inability to retain historical information... and partly to my teacher's screechy voice. But in my second year at the university I had to take a Modern History of the Western Countries course. Our lecturer was boring and corrupted (like too many university teachers in Ukraine), but the teacher assistant was still young and innocent when it came to peddling grades, and he obviously loved the subject of history. Suddenly history became more than just a boring string of dates and dry facts. It was no more faceless and random. That class was the only one from my times at the university where we were actually encouraged to discuss the material and go beyond what was in the textbook. History was finally interesting.

Fast forward next year we were done with history classes and for the while I was done with history altogether. Later I would come back to the thought that I should probably read a few history books and fill in the gaps in my knowledge. But I never really came to it. I was confused about where to start and what to read. And it's not like I had a lot of opportunities to show off my knowledge anyway. I would occasionally read some historical fiction and wonder about how accurate it actually is. Or I would read a Wikipedia page and again think about how it's not the proper way to learn.

I don't know my own history.

I don't understand it.

And a few days ago my lack of knowledge came back to haunt me when I got myself into an online argument on the legacy of the Kievan Rus. I equipped myself with google and Wikipedia, but still felt hesitant and held-back. It's kind of hard to grasp more than a thousand years of history in the span of one evening.

After the first exchange with my opponent I google searched for the Primary Chronicle and made a mental note to read it. This will be just the start of my journey into the history of my ancestors. I'm already anticipating and fearing of the conclusions I might draw from my reading. The problem with history is that everyone has his own agenda. The lack of exposure to different opinions results in political and ideological scuffles. And yes, I'm bringing politics into the picture. After all politics is the history in making.

You can't just cut out the pieces that you like and ignore the rest. So for now I'm planning to turn into an observer. I'll make up my mind once I know the background of the matter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dissecting Literature Series Intro

Hello there, friends! Today I'll tell you about what I have in mind for this blog when it comes to book-themed posts and reviews. What I've noticed from my previous blogging experience it's common practice to review books, be it ARCs or something you've picked out from your home library, giving the potential reader a general idea of what to expect from the plot and characters. Personally, I was never able to do that sort of book reviews.
When it comes to books it's always personal for me. Books trigger something in me, provoking thoughts and bringing out feelings from deep within. Every book has something that goes beyond the story. It has a piece of the author's heart and soul. The more I read the more I see how many books are written from the personal experience of the author, which they often admit themselves. Books are a reflection of the author's personal surroundings. And you can notice it in every book once you start paying attention. Whether it'…

Reasons Why I Get Angry | Let's Get Personal

Sometimes I get really angry and frustrated with myself. My head is overfilled with ideas but I keep on tripping over my own feet and can't move forward. I get jealous looking at people who bring my ideas to life and succeed whereas I can't even get started.
I'm not angry because they came up with the same ideas. No. I'm not that sort of naive people who think that they can claim ownership of ideas or are afraid to tell someone the idea for their novel because they don't want anyone to "steal" it. Many people observe the same world that you do, the same laws of logic apply to everyone, so it's not surprising that the same idea may pop up in the minds of different people. What really counts is how you act on it.
The problem is that I more than often lack the proper resources to make my ideas a reality. And it makes me so angry.
As a part of my plan to get over these circumstances, I've decided to start this blog. This is going to be my outlet. A b…

Quotes | The Book of Lies - Twins Trilogy by Agota Kristof

I was going through some old blog entries from the times when I was blogging in my native language, and came across a collection of quotes from one of my favorite books The Notebook by Agota Kristof. It's actually a trilogy but for some reason the Russian translation which I was reading goes by the name of the first book from The Book of Lies - Twins Trilogy.
I read this book in the summer of 2012. The Twins Trilogy was hands down one of the weirdest books I've ever read. The plot kept on twisting and turning and by the end I wasn't sure what to believe. It's probably high time to re-read this book and see if I now have a different perception of it.
It is a story of two twin boys during the Second World War. Or at least that's what's on the surface. I dare you to read this book and discover its mysteries for yourself!
Here are some of the quotes from the book that I would like to share with you today. I couldn't find these particular quotes in English so a…