Thursday, 23 March 2017

10k Celebration Post | #amwriting

This week I've hit a new milestone. I know that 10k words might not seem like alot but considering that it's the first time I'm actually serious about my writing project, I see it as quite an accomplishment.

What I've got so far.

• 10 078 words

• 2 chapters that I consider finished

• about a dozen scenes and dialogues for chapters to come

• an actual outline that doesn't look too bad and it wasn't forced unlike the ones for my previous projects

I love my characters and I really enjoy writing this story. I'm still learning, but I don't let this discourage me. Even if I'm doing something wrong, I'll have plenty of time to fix everything when I get to editing.

I've noticed that every other time when I'm writing a scene a thought pops into my mind "wouldn't it be funny if he did this or said that?". Because of that I'm now pondering if I was right when identifying my genre as romance. There's still plenty of conflict and drama but whenever I see an opportunity to make it funny I just can't help it. And there's only been one kiss so far...

Okay, so maybe it's not romance after all. Is it women's fiction? Well, you know... because my protagonist is a woman... Is this how it works? I honestly have no idea. I've tried looking up some "determine your novel's genre" checklists but that didn't help much. Maybe I'll ask my alpha readers to help me figure that out.

Getting some initial feedback was another thing I've been dealing with this week. The mere thought of showing my manuscript to anyone other than my family makes me panic and question my plot and writing skills. I told my friend about a funny scene I'd just written and by the time I finished telling it I was thinking that it's stupid and not funny at all. But my friend laughed at my scene and offered some of his own speculations as to where the story is going. So at least there's one more person in this world that thinks that my jokes are funny.

My main goal in writing is to make my stories easy to read and funny. I'd like my readers to feel the same things I feel when I'm writing them. But to get to that goal I still have to write many thousands of words.


No comments:

Post a Comment